Every year, millions of lives are financially destroyed due to identity theft. Watch for warning signs that it might be happening to you.
- Even though you have good credit, your loan or credit card application is rejected or if you lose out on a new job at the last minute, check your credit rating.
- Your insurance carrier denies a legitimate claim saying you have reached your plan’s limits, and you know you haven’t.
- You are getting mail from businesses or banks that you don’t do business with.
- You are missing bills that are normally mailed to you.
- Collection agencies start calling for charges that are not yours. Report any errors on your credit score and file a report with the FTC.
- You notice withdrawals on your bank accounts that are not yours. Notify your bank immediately. Don’t just look for large withdrawals; small amounts are sometimes withdrawn in hopes that you won’t notice.
- You notice charges that you don’t recognize on your bank statement. Cancel your card, and stay alert.
- A common type of identity theft is when someone uses your social security number to file income taxes, and claims your tax return.
- A company or bank you do business with has a breach, take action immediately and set up additional security measures.
Raskob Kambourian Financial Advisors is an independent, fee-only comprehensive financial advisory firm registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission. We offer expertise, competitive pricing, and personalized financial services to meet your “Life Planning” needs.